You’ve probably heard of face shaving and are fascinated or perplexed by the unique skin-smoothing technique. This form of the technique, which aims to make your skin look smoother and more radiant, began as an in-office treatment performed by skincare specialists using surgical-grade razors. Now you can do it safely and effectively from the comfort of your own home, provided you use the right products and techniques.
Our social media feeds have recently been bombarded with videos of influencers demonstrating how to shave your face with a razor. We completely understand if you are afraid to take this step. Should you opt for a professional dermaplaning treatment instead? Read on as we detail the step-by-step method, pros, pros and cons of face shaving for women to answer all your questions.
Everything you need to know about face shaving for women
A step by step guide on how to use a facial razor correctly
1. Invest in a new, clean women’s razor. Make sure it has serrated blade edges to prevent nicks and cuts, as well as a rubberized handle for a solid, non-slip grip.
2. Cleanse your face with lukewarm water and a light facial cleanser to soften your hair and make shaving easier. Make sure the face wash is free of parabens, sulfates, and alcohol. Hot water should be avoided as it may damage your skin.
3. To reduce friction and avoid skin irritation after shaving, apply a mild moisturizer, Aloe Vera gel or clear shaving gel to produce a thin layer between the skin and the razor. Using soap and water can dry out your skin.
4. Shave in the direction of your hair growth with light, delicate strokes, holding the facial shaver at a 45 degree angle. This will help avoid nicks, cuts and ingrown hairs. Avoid going over the same area multiple times to avoid redness and irritation.
5. Spray your face with cold water to remove any excess hair, then pat dry with a clean towel. Don’t scrub your face too hard with the towel.
6. To soothe your skin, apply a moisturizer or alcohol-free aftershave balm.
Benefits of face shaving
1. Gently exfoliates your skin to remove dead cells that have built up.
2. Eliminate flaking and dryness to reveal revitalized, glowing skin.
3. Prevents breakouts and minimizes fine lines.
4. Creates a smooth base for makeup application.
5. Increases the effectiveness of skin care products by allowing better absorption.
Advantages and disadvantages of face shaving
1. It is painless and simple to perform.
2. An inexpensive and readily available method of hair removal.
3. Takes less time.
1. The possibility of cuts, bruises, razor burns or skin irritations on sensitive skin.
2. The possibility of ingrown hairs.
3. Regrowth is a little faster.
All images: Courtesy of Shutterstock